Monday, October 04, 2021

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 4: Malignant (2021)

You guys, Malignant. This movie!

I watched it the night it premiered on HBO Max knowing little about it aside from the fact that it was directed by James Wan, who is no stranger to horror movies, having co-created the Saw franchise (blech), the Insidious franchise (meh), and the Conjuring franchise (his only series I've actually partially enjoyed).

And while Malignant gets off to promising start, once the prologue ended, I wasn't too hopeful about what I was seeing, as the villain, or monster, or whatever you want to call it, just looked like so many malevolent beings have looked ever since the Ring movies came out.

But I was wrong. What the movie turns into is some crazy shit, and reminded of some particularly favorite 1980's grindhouse fare, but to say which ones would be to spoil the film's surprises. So, if you haven't been spoiled yet, and still haven't watched Malignant, get to it, as you only have a few more days. It leaves HBO Max on October 10th.

1 comment:

Aimee Pavy said...

Crazy fun! Glad I saw this 🥜-y film before it’s gone!