Sunday, October 22, 2023

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 22: Totally Killer (2023)

I watched Totally Killer because it was popular on Letterboxd (follow me!) and getting good user reviews, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's basically Back to the Future meets Scream, which is a combination that I'm surprised hasn't been done before. (I guess the Deathday movies might come closest?)

Kiernan Shipka plays Jamie, a modern teen who is thrust back to 1987 where she has the opportunity to prevent the murder of her mother. And let me just say that it kind of blows my mind that 1987 was over 35 years ago, while in Back to the Future, Marty only goes back 30 years. HOW CAN 1987 BE 36 YEARS AGO?????

Of course Jamie has many amusing moments realizing how wild the 1980's were, with completely lax security measures basically everywhere, high school girls who act like high girls in 1980's movies usually act (which is to say, like total b-words), and "problematic" behavior at every turn. 

There are some genuinely suspenseful moments, as far as slasher movies go, even if the ultimate totally killer reveal isn't totally killer. It may work better as a comedy than as a horror movie, but it's still a combo that's definitely worth watching.

Totally Killer is streaming on Prime Video.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

This was a lot of fun, enjoyed it.