Friday, October 06, 2023

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 6: I Trapped the Devil (2019)

I decided to watch I Trapped the Devil because some of its actors (A.J. Bowen and Jocelin Donahue) have been in indie horror movies I've loved, including You're Next and House of the Devil. But this one was just too much of a slow burn and I fell asleep probably three times as I was watching it. So, even though it's under 90 minutes long, it took me over two hours to finish it.

A man and his wife decide to drop in on his brother during the holidays. The brother is none too happy to see them, but reluctantly lets them stay. Slowly it is revealed that the brother has a man locked up in his basement, and he's convinced he's captured the devil himself.

I will give the movie this: It uses its Christmastime setting effectively, with colored lights casting an eerie glow on the proceedings. It got me wondering if I may have liked this a bit more had I watched it later in the year.

Of note: Fans of the TV show This Is Us will probably recognize the voice of the man in the basement. And if the plot sounds familiar it's because it's basically the same plot as a season two episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Howling Man."

I watched I Trapped the Devil on Tubi.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Interesting premise. Maybe I'll save it for later in the year.