Saturday, October 14, 2023

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 14: Saint Maude (2019)

When you get right down to it, aren't most stories about the origins of saints kind of....horrible? I mean, I'm no expert, but I think you probably have to at least have some suffering in your life to get to saint status, right? Maybe not "burning at the stake" (but that's definitely one way to go) but definitely not a life of quiet comforts.

So, perhaps the story of Saint Maud isn't so odd. Maybe a modern saint really would need to make some..."sacrifices" to reach sainthood. Or -- and I'm just tossing this out there! -- perhaps a lot of history's saints were, actually, just crazy motherfuckers!

OK, probably not going to reach sainthood with that comment. And I'm not entirely sure the "heroine" in Saint Maud does either, but it's definitely an interesting watch, although it probably fits more into the realm of art film than horror film. An art film with some horrible moments? I wanted a little bit more from it, but I appreciated how it stuck the landing, and it kind of reminded me of a fave, The Rapture, another movie that asks, what if some of the horrible things in the Bible are not metaphors, and actually, literally, true?

No thank you!

I watched Saint Maud on DVD, but it is also available on Prime Video.

No comments: