Saturday, October 07, 2023

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 7: Alone In the Dark (1982)

The 1982 slasher flick Alone In the Dark didn't hit my radar until recently, and I can kind of understand why. The year 1982 was a huge year for a lot of movies (it was such a pivotal year for me as a movie fan that I started a whole blog centered on rewatching every movie I had watched in 1982), but it was not really a huge year for slasher movies. Science fiction and supernatural flicks were the bigger hits that year, with Friday the 13th Part III and Slumber Party Massacre really the only slasher movies that made any lasting mark.

Alone In the Dark's biggest selling point is its cast, which is filled with some genre movie legends including Donald Pleasence as, once again, a psychiatrist who may be as loony as his patients. Those patients are played by Martin Landau, Jack Palance, and Erland Van Lidth (who is probably best known for playing the gang leader Terror in The Wanderers).

While the movie follows your basic slasher/home invasion horror plotline, it has some good twists, and an appearance by a punk rock band called the Sic F*cks. So really, what more could you want?

I watched Alone In the Dark on Blu-Ray as it is not currently available to rent or stream online.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this movie!

Caffeinated Joe said...

Strange movie. The cast has some big names, the plot is good for a thriller. But then there are just such weird moments throughout. I honestly don't know what to make of it. It kept me interested, so I guess that is good.