Friday, October 28, 2022

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 28: Rubber (2010)

I included two films by Quentin Dupieux in last year's countdown, Deerskin and Mandibles, and while I liked them both, Mandibles ended up being one of my favorite films of 2021, and made me a Quentin Dupieux fan for life. 

I decided to save watching his 2010 horror comedy Rubber for this year's countdown, and man alive, this is one weird movie! Yes, even weirder than a movie about a pair of idiot criminals who want to train a giant fly to rob banks!

At its center, Rubber is about a tire that becomes sentient and can kill animals and people using psychokinetic powers. So, you have lots of shots of a tire rolling across an American desert, defeating what he (his name is Robert) perceives to be his enemies. (They usually aren't.)

Then around that, you have a meta story of an audience of people who are watching this all play out, somewhere in the distance, using binoculars, and commenting on the film you, and they, are watching.

You know what? I've already said too much. Go into this one knowing it's going to be weird, and may not make complete sense, and just enjoy the ride

Rubber shows up on free streaming services now and then, but I had to rent it via Prime Video.

No comments: