Friday, October 21, 2022

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 21: Society (1989)

I'm not going to even begin to explain what the above gif is all about, because it has to be seen to be believed, which pretty much sums up Society in general.

I don't think I was even aware of this movie until a few years ago, which probably has something to do with its marketing way back in the 1989; they had no idea how to sell a film like this. Comedy? Social commentary? Horror movie? All of the above? 

It is all of the above, though not quite as funny as it should be, all things considered. Billy Warlock (!) is Beverly Hills teenager Bill. He's handsome, and popular, but doesn't really seem to belong in his well-off family of WASP-y blondes. He soon finds out why.

I'm not sure it all works entirely, and it takes a little too long to get to the point, but man, is it audacious. And I promise you it has an ending that you will never forget.

I watched Society on the Criterion Channel.

No comments: